Saturday 1 March 2008

Rain stops play

Apologies for the lack of updates of late. I've been a bit under the weather this week so haven't even switched my laptop on let alone place any bets. Thankfully i'm back on form and with the new month come new plans. Firstly though it's time to reflect on February...

From an outsiders point of view February may have seemed to be a bit of a 'non-event' and it certainly was with regards to making a profit. However, behind the scenes there was a lot going on - mainly concerning my future approach to the challenge. As I discovered i'm not a gambler, I hate the feeling I get with long losing runs, so February was spent trialling out some less-risky but also less profitable systems.

As you may recall I had planned to trial 'system 2' for the full month, but as I found it took up a lot of my time and meant that I had to watch a sport that i'm not particularly interested in - football. At first the system seemed quite safe and in the first week I found that I had doubled my initial investment, however, during the second week I lost everything...twice, thankfully i'd only invested a small amount in the system. Personally, I feel that for someone who is interested in football and knows alot about the teams 'system 2' could really work, but I just didn't have the knowledge to pick the right games.

During the month I also tried out the Pocket Money System, now here's something that I feel is a keeper, it really is extremely low risk although to make serious money I would need a much larger betting bank...but for something that is such low risk I think it's great. Aswell as this i've turned my hand to football trading, now I know I said I don't really like football, but unlike System 2.0, with this I can trade out within about 20 minutes of the game and make larger profits. Again I plan to continue withi this for the moment.

Finally, February has been a month of research as i've been looking into some place betting stats. I think i've found some decent criteria for selections but aren't prepared to risk any money on this until i've got lots of research to back it up.

Now for March, well as i've said I plan to continue with the Pocket Money System and my football trading ventures as well as my research. But I have also plucked up the courage to have a go at 'matched betting'. It's funny but despite living in a so-called 'modern society' I still feel a certain amount of stigma attached to being a female gambler, so as you can imagine the thought of signing up with loads of bookies in order to take advantage of their introductory offers made me recoil somewhat. However, thanks to Mr 20k who made a throw-away comment about it being "impossible to make £1,000 for free", the gauntlet was thrown down. So i've armed myself with some background knwowledge on matched betting and got myself a nifty spreadsheet and i'm ready to commence. For anyone whose interested in matched betting there's a really good forum on it here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=325861

Anyway, I had my first experience with matched betting today and have made £19.43 and hopefully there'll be a further £25.00 to follow as I signed up via a cashback account ( I wont add this to my total until i've received it). Not bad for a days work. I did make a loss of £6.70 following some horseracing tips, but made a further £1.08 trading a football game. So i'd say it's been a good start to March!

As for my total profit, i'm no longer going to separate my results as i've a feeling i'll be adding a few more systems to my portfolio. So to keep it simple i'll be going back to recording only my daily profits.

Well I think i've certainly made up for being away for so long. Here's to a prosperous March! Best of luck with your betting!

Daily profit: +£13.81
Total profit: +£74.07

3 comments:

Brian Coplin said...

Matched betting is great. If you are looking for live matched betting oppotunities then look no further than http://ukracinginfo.com/scalpbetfair.htm
or click on the bookies on the the main uk website e.g. http://www.ukracinginfo.com/content/view/166/26/ for Boyles

Mark Iverson said...

Hi!

I'm really enjoying your blog - it's so nice to see a female gambler for a change :-)

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and I've added a link to your site:

http://markiverson-professionalsportstrader.blogspot.com/

All the best,

Mark

maggie said...

I didn't know all this info about matched betting was available in one place. It is certainly easy to make money this was the reason i started using internet after i was told about it at a night out 5 years ago. Do the rounds of bookies then do them again and again in different names. Paul Nicholls horses are often bigger with bookies than lay price on betfair.
This will give you a boost on way to 20 grand without using any of your own money